Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advisement on ban policy
Laurent Nkunda Offline

white zhg symbol Advisement on ban policy

Hi,

This pertains to a little clarification on naming policy on ZHG Siege servers.

A few days ago, the player "Hitler_did_nothing_wrong", he was asked to change his name, refused, then people on the server promptly banned him.

He showed up again tonight. Following the previous example, I submitted a poll to ban him - advising him he knew this from before. I didn't realize the grief with which it would return. It didn't work, and he promptly submitted a poll to ban me. And kept on submitting polls repeatedly, logging out returning with new "colorful" names, like "White people suck dicks", "Prophet Muhammad", "Kurdistan PKK", "Brevik_did_nothing_wrong", "All Women are Whores", etc. each time submitting and re-submitting polls to ban me. Although occasionally submitting polls to ban someone else.

Since it was my poll to kick "Hitler_did_nothing_wrong" that kicked off this cascade of repeated polling by Hitler, I eventually decided to just leave the server.

I'd like to know if there is a policy on name choices on ZHG Siege server? And if I stepped over the line in requesting a poll on "Hitler_did_nothing_wrong"?

I called out for an admin at the time to clarify, but apparently none was present.

While I understand that joke names can be risque, I am also a little wary about some names going over the line and making it a little unpleasant for other players.
16.03.2014 01:03
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Daeran Offline
Aimer

RE: Advisement on ban policy

I think most admins would disagree with such names, I guess you're free to submit a kick/ban vote for any reason that seems valid enough for you. Not to mention that kick bans are pretty much useless since you can join right away. But for your own sake I think you should try to ignore people name most of the time, you shouldn't get upset when playing video games.

Grand Melonpriest, Master of elephant Drawing and part time aimer.
16.03.2014 15:35
Laurent Nkunda Offline

(16.03.2014 15:35)Daeran Wrote:  I think most admins would disagree with such names, I guess you're free to submit a kick/ban vote for any reason that seems valid enough for you. Not to mention that kick bans are pretty much useless since you can join right away. But for your own sake I think you should try to ignore people name most of the time, you shouldn't get upset when playing video games.

Fair enough. I thought there was a naming policy on ZHG servers, and, in the absence of admins, simply took the initiative to replicate action on the same player taken earlier.

While I don't particularly care for names myself, I am a little wary of the presence of minors on the servers. I have refrained from purchasing M&B for my underage nephews largely because I am uncertain of the kind of environment they'd find in multiplayer servers, and so over-protective feelings may have led me to be a bit quick on the trigger in this case. A secondary consideration, and this comes from long experience with Paradox, such statements have legal implications in certain countries (e.g. Germany), and while I doubt it would matter in this case, nonetheless felt it was needlessly exposing the server to consequences.

But I guess if there is no naming policy, I might have been in the wrong for taking matters into my own hands and initiating a poll on the assumption there was.

That said, there is still the matter of trolling behavior. While even admitting that my initial poll may have been precipitous or ill-thought, the repeated counter-poll action was disturbing to myself, and everyone else, and ended forcing me to leave to allow others to play. Is there a chance or procedure to somehow warn or prevent this particularly this player from undertaking a repeat performance? Given that he successfully drove me away, he might be encouraged to undertake similar actions against anybody else who objects to his provocative choice of names. Apparently the first time he was thrown off for his name didn't discourage him from trying the same again last night.
16.03.2014 19:21
Vermin Offline
Loves yew ALL!

No, there is no real naming policy on the server, although I would definitly tell people to change names if they are inapropriate. (I actually told an adolfhitler-name user that his was inapropriate the same evening as the first banpoll on this troll). But its hard to keep track of such people. I'm not always around and if people do not report it, I cannot look into it.

Its why I'd say you should follow Daerans advice and ignore such people as best you can. You could make reports on such people but since I'm not around 24/7, it would take a while for me to see it and look into it. I also like to deal with such myself, in person.
Banpolls are a possible choice and usually do work in making such trolls think twice about what they are trying to do. But experience has learned that some trolls only understand hard and permanent action by admins, unfortunatly.
In this case I noticed that 3 others started a banpoll against the person, which indicates that few think his name is funny.

You did not step over the line by such poll, as others clearly agree, proven by the fact they made polls aswell and voted 'yes' on his ban.
Its sad to hear that you left because of him, you shouldnt, only those who cannot behave should have a hard time playing on the server. While there is no real policy on names and much depends on how people react to stupid names(whether they are offended or not), or it was never written down at least, there is a policy against poll abusing. Poll abuse is not allowed.

Banpolls were, for some time, disabled on the server for such abuse and only reenabled when requested by players. And then only done with the knowledge that banpolls only work if there is a real reason. Which is why you shouldnt worry too much about those polls started against you.

I usually prefer to give warnings first, as its often an attempt to just joke around. Its not funny, but they usually only realize that when told so. In this case however, I think its clear that he wont change his name and even abuses the poll system when people disagree with his namechoice, which is quite normal with a name like 'Hitler_did_nothing_wrong'. He will be banned now.

Angel
16.03.2014 21:17
Laurent Nkunda Offline

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I can understand the difficulties, and much appreciate your advice and action.

I'd like to thank you and Daerin for your attention on this matter.
17.03.2014 17:38
Laurent Nkunda Offline

He's back there now. (Sat night). Dunno if anyone's around.
05.04.2014 22:12
Vermin Offline
Loves yew ALL!

yes, but too late I suppose

Angel
05.04.2014 22:30
Laurent Nkunda Offline

(05.04.2014 22:30)Vermin Wrote:  yes, but too late I suppose

Just for the record, the guy named "BLACK_CLOCK" and "HOW I MET YOUR WHITE PENIS" there right now (Monday 3 PM) seems to have the same internet ping (22-23) as our famed Hitler_did_nothing_wrong.

Might be the same fellow.
14.04.2014 20:13
Vermin Offline
Loves yew ALL!

he was a bit trollish yes, he was...

The former, they are two different people.

Angel
(This post was last modified: 14.04.2014 20:37 by Vermin.)
14.04.2014 20:34